AppId is over the quota
AppId is over the quota
The England internationals both came off to add to Sir Alex Ferguson’s mounting injury problems as Manchester United demolished Fulham 5-0 at Craven Cottage.
Jones damaged his jaw in a clash with Clint Dempsey and was replaced by Young, who then picked up an unspecified injury in a 50-50 challenge with Dickson Etuhu.
“The tackle on Ashley Young was a very aggressive tackle and I will have to see that again,” Ferguson told MUTV.
“Fulham were very aggressive in the second half and Ashley Young has paid the price for that.
“He has got a sore one so will be out for two to three weeks.
“On Phil Jones it was an elbow from Dempsey, but I don’t think it was intentional. But he caught him with an elbow.
“We are sending him for an X-ray tomorrow and it doesn’t look great. We are picking up injuries at the moment.”
United made two changes for the match in west London, replacing David de Gea and Rio Ferdinand.
Ferguson revealed the latter was omitted from both the starting line-up and squad because of a foot injury.
The England defender will miss the clash with Wigan on Boxing Day, but should return in time to face Blackburn on New Year’s Eve.
“Rio got a knock on the foot against QPR. I think he will be available for Blackburn, not Wigan,” said Ferguson.
The victory was United’s second in west London victory in four days, having brushed aside QPR on Sunday.
Danny Welbeck, Nani, Ryan Giggs, Wayne Rooney and Dimitar Berbatov netted the goals as Ferguson’s side dominated.
The Cottagers paid the price for some abysmal defending that gifted United three of the goals and manager Martin Jol refused to excuse his players.
“If you have eight attempts on goal like they did and score five of them, then it’s a horror scenario,” Jol said.
“In the first half we weren’t good enough, it was too easy for them. The second half was a lot better.
“We couldn’t get the ball to Mousa Dembele and Clint Dempsey, never mind Andy Johnson, and that was disappointing.
“To concede early goals like that isn’t good for your confidence.”
- Manchester United plan summer move for Aston Villa forward Ashley Young Dear man: Sir Alex Ferguson sought to sign Aston Villa...
- Manchester United signing Aston Villa’s Ashley Young winger Signing the: Aston Villa midfielder Ashley Young is close to...
- I do not fear the arrival of Ashley Young Manchester United, said Antonio Valencia Young signed a five year contract with United on Thursday...
- Ashley Young record places of interest in helping Manchester United win League 20th after the signing of Aston Villa The champions of the Premier League agreed a fee with...
- Manchester United defender Phil Jones insists club will thrive on Champions League pressure against Basle AppId is over the quota AppId is over the quota...